Tuesday, September 1, 2009

Goodbyes

We just said "Welcome Home Brian" only 11 months ago and yet now, we have to say goodbye again. Goodbyes are just never easy - especially when you are saying goodbye to a loved one who is leaving for a deployment. On top of that, we had to say goodbye 2 times because of a plane delay yesterday. Those of you who have had to do this, even just once, know that it really doesn't ever get easier. I'll admit, knowing what to expect has made it go smoothier, but the tears still come as quickly & as often. Yesterday was filled with tears.

I miss him already. I'm positive this will not affect Abbigail, but what I am very unsure about is how Thomas will handle not seeing Daddy for such a long time. Will he really believe me when I keep telling him that "Daddy is still at work"? Will he miss all the things he does just with Daddy? Will he want to do all of those things when Daddy returns? Those are my honest concerns. At two years old, Thomas has such a good time with his Daddy that I just don't want that to change. People tell me that he is still young enough that he will rebound and this will not effect him - I can only hope they are right. What usually brings on my tears is thinking about the wonderful images of the two of them together. Even more so is the fact that Brian will be in BFE and be missing out on his "Thomas Time."

Brian is very positive during a deployment and helps keep me focused on my "mission" - that is, taking care of the kids & Ziggy, the house and working at school. Be it a full plate I'm working with, Brian always reminds me to take it a week or two at time. He reminds me to never look at it as 200+ days away from each other, but rather look ahead at the upcoming appointments, birthdays, celebrations & milestones in order to get through each month. He is right... it really does help. Thank goodness too that we have webcams, emails and phone calls that help us keep each other sane & remind us what is most important when you are a military family & have to be apart from each other........... FAMILY!

No comments: