Friday, September 18, 2009

Getting over the hump

I don't just miss Brian during certain days or even just particular times of the day - I miss him ALL the time. To combat feeling sad (although that really is next to impossible sometimes), there are lots of things that I try to do to get over the hump:
  • write him an email - just telling him how the day went or what is on my mind is such a huge help. And on the flip side of that, receiving an email from him is one of the most prized things I can hope for each day.
  • sleep on his side of the bed - sounds silly, but I just feel a lot closer to him. At least when I'm closing my eyes and trying to go to sleep, I picture him & imagine us laying next to each other.
  • put a care package together for him - I always have "flat rate" boxes from the post office on hand at the house... it makes it easy to put his new magazines, snacks, pictures of the kids and a note from me in a package ready to send out. Just by doing this, I feel like I'm taking care of him & then feel better.
  • put a pair of his shorts on - can't beat a pair of his red RED HORSE shorts - cozy, roomy and something of his (its my version of the boyfriends' shirt).
  • Drive his truck - it smells like him, his stuff is in the truck and I also feel like a badass when I drive it. This one is usually a quick fix for me.
  • Cry - usually I can't help this one. I'm a tough cookie on the outside, but inside I'm "jello" when it comes to my family. Tears flow almost daily - especially when I think of the kids & him. See... tears are swelling up right now in my eyes. Can't help it. But I do feel better when I'm done.

No comments: