Saturday, July 11, 2009

Maiden Voyage

I'm happy to report that our youngest fisherman in the house has finally taken his "maiden voyage" out on the boat. I was worried that with me so late in the pregnancy and Brian getting ready to deploy again, we wouldn't have a chance to get Thomas on the boat and then the window of opportunity would be closed until early next summer. BUT... that didn't happen and he did really good!

We were pulling away from the dock shortly before 9am.
Thomas checking out the controls and buttons (still docked). Notice where the lifejacket is... as we pulled away from the dock we put it on him.
I knew it would not go over well with him. Real tears. Pathetically sad face. Oh well... I explained "those are the rules" and it only lasted about 5-10 minutes.
He was a happy sailor once he had a juice box & we were underway.
2nd in command & me (I'm just the deckhand).
More juice and a shady seat
Daddy even brought one of Thomas' fishing rods & he had a blast. I think it really "clicked" that you release the fish into the water and then you turn the reel to get the fish to come up and then you bring him in the boat. Thomas had a great time doing it over & over & over & over again. Can you tell that he has long forgotten about the lifejacket?
Gotta have snacks (& juice & water)
Both of them trying to catch their fish. Actually, Brian only brought 2 of his light rods/reels to try and catch some bait fish - him & some buddies are going offshore tomorrow and he was trying to have some fresh bait. No luck. Only thing that jumped on was...
... this ugly little catfish. Thomas still thought it was neat, but frankly we don't like them.
We ended up staying out on the water for about 2.5 hours - on the way back in, Thomas asked for his NUK (I always have it tucked away with me). As he was sitting between Brian and me (and we were cruising in at about 25 mph), Thomas fell asleep. Yes, asleep sitting up with the wind in his hair/face. It just cracked us up. Too bad we didn't have a picture of that for you. Anyway, good morning.

No comments: