Thursday, July 9, 2009

Commissary shopping

Yesterday's major task was some serious grocery shopping on base at the commissary. I used to kinda enjoy grocery shopping - but no longer when it involves a toddler. Don't get me wrong, I enjoy seeing Thomas learn about all the daily things we do - but this really isn't that fun and here is why:

1) time limit - I used to be able to do all my shopping in about 35-45 minutes. No more. Thomas wants to get in and out of the cart (we use the one with the truck/steering wheel up front) and also push the shopping cart. Yesterday took 1 hour 20 min. Some of you might say (like my husband), make him stay in the cart!!! It already uses up my energy to shop and keep him occupied, I don't want to fight/argue/discipline the entire commissary trip if it isn't necessary. So... I've settled for it just takes a whole lot longer.

2) Keeping him occupied - see above mentioned tactics. In addition to snacks/drink, I also try and keep him busy with "Thomas please put this in the cart" or "Please put this up on the belt so the nice lady can put it in the bag for us." We talk about the different foods that we are buying so we can cook and eat them at home. Anyway - it is nonstop as we grocery shop.

3) Checking out - He does do really well with wanting to put the items on the belt, but once we are done empting the cart - he is all about getting into the cart so he can reach the credit card machine. He loves the buttons and wants my debit/credit card so he can "slide" it. I always make it a point to say, "Are you buying everything today Thomas?" which usually illicits a laugh from the cashier/bagger. One time I tried to give him a gift card from some other store to appease him instead of him grabbing my debit card; well.... well... it was like I insulted him. He just KNEW that was not the card that Mommy pays with when we shop. How does he know? Man, toddlers pay attention. Can't fool him.

4) Driving home & unloading - Thist is actually nice. Because we live about 25 minutes from base, Thomas usually watches something on the DVD and relaxes. I try and time our grocery shopping so that it will bleed right into nap time. If I do that, he will usually fall asleep on the way home and I just scoop him up from the car and put him into bed - he is good for about a 1.5-2 hour nap. That way I can unload and put away groceries in quiet. If he doesn't fall asleep, then unloading and putting away involves Thomas' "help". Ha-ha. Help, right? You have to love him though. He is like a sponge and soaks up so much each and everyday and I'm blessed to be home each day during the summer to see it all day long. I adore & love him.

Later in the day...

Getting ready for our walk after dinner - can you tell the apple doesn't fall far from the tree? Thomas really doesn't like to wear hats, however, he is turning over a new leaf (no pun intended) and likes to wear Daddy's hats. He really likes Daddy's two Airborne RHS hats (I guess because they are nice and worn in). On the back, as you can probably see, is Brian's nickname - Heckler (not to be confused with HeckLure) with the airborne symbol. Anyway... I keep asking myself if our little girl is going to be able to hang with these two boys - they are something else. However, I'm looking forward to balancing out the testosterone filled house with an equal amount of estrogen.

No comments: