Friday, June 19, 2009

Pregnancy Update - 32 weeks

I had my 32 week appointment yesterday. Everything looks good so far. Baby is weighing in around 4 lbs right now; heart rate is really good & apparently my belly size is just right (oh say the doctors). We have decided to have another C-section (giving the long labor & use of vacuum with Thomas and him NOT moving at all) and we were hoping to schedule THE date but there was some mix-ups with who I was scheduled to see yesterday and how the scheduling takes place... so we were a little disappointed, but are hopeful things fall into place in the coming days. More to come with that.

For those of you who know, about a month ago I had to take a 3 hour Glucose test to make sure that I didn't have diabetes. My original 1 hour test came back "high" and so this 2nd test was ordered to rule out any early problems. Good news - came back normal & I am certainly glad. I really didn't want that on my plate of issues to handle right now.

However... the midwife nurse that I saw yesterday decided to tell me that I needed to be careful about "packing on the pounds" because I could be prone to this. She said to stay away from Carbs. WHAT? To be sure I heard her correctly, I asked her to review my weight gain thus far. Yeah... only 24 lbs so far with about 7 weeks to go. To give you a quick overview, doctors recommend pregnant women to gain between 25-35 lbs throughout their pregnancy. And in the last trimester, women typically gain about 1 lb each week. With Thomas, I gained 28 lbs total. Fine, right? So, in my head I did the math really quickly as she is saying this to me (& Brian can tell I'm pissed) - to me the math says 24 lbs + 7-8lbs = max 32 lbs! Huh? Seems to me to be right where I should be. Ohhhhhh, I couldn't wait to get out of this appointment. PACKING ON THE POUNDS? Needless to say, it took me the rest of the day to cool off. My wonderful husband also cooked me a shrimp & broccoli linguini dinner (full of carbs) to make me feel better. I did.

No comments: