Tuesday, October 30, 2012

The downside

I've said this before on many occasions (here, here and here)- I'm blessed to have gotten the opportunity to stay home with the kids this last year.  It was a welcomed change and maybe even a necessary one.  Living far away from loved ones & where we had called home for the last 5 years, a newborn in my arms, a 2-year old who needed me more than anything, as well as the opportunity to attend speech therapy often, and a growing 4-year old little boy who had enough energy to run from here back to Florida and still have some left over. 

I'm blessed.  I know.

In addition to being there for my kiddos 24-7-365, I also managed to finish my coursework for my Masters in Education Administration and find a new school to complete my principal internship with.  In just 7 more weeks, it will be done.  It will be over.  Degree awarded.  Opportunities (hopefully) knocking.

I'm blessed.  I know.  Really, I know.

I won't even get started and go on and on about my husband.  Selfless, provider, motivator, voice of reason, and the hardest working man I know.  This year would not have happened had we not been the team we are. I love you Brian.

But I'm gonna complain just for a moment - because I can and I need to.  Please, no comments.  Just be my sounding board. 

I'm so ready to have a paycheck again.  Seriously.  This has been the downside to all of these blessings.  When you make a lifestyle change, knowingly & consciously, that entails going from a 2 income household down to a 1 income household (whilst adding another child)... we have clearly had to adjust our household budget, realign our priorities, make some many sacrifices and just suck it up!

Don't take any of this the wrong way... I never thought I would have the chance to stay at home with Thomas, Abbigail and Marilyn. I've had a teaching career for 12 years - I just always knew I would be a working mom (with my summers off to be with the kids).  This has been the most important thing that I could have done for them, for myself, and for Brian at this point in our family's life.  I know in my heart that I have become a more understanding, more loving, more patient (although I have to work really hard at this daily) mother who really knows each of her children.

I'm blessed.  So very blessed.

I guess I'm just ready to help take the burden off of Brian in providing for us.  I'm ready to be done with school (again, again and again) and put my professional brain back to work... for a paycheck now.


No comments: