Wednesday, October 10, 2012

Pumpkin Faces

You already know how much I like yummy tasting food & drinks made from pumpkins from last week's FNL - but I also think pumpkin faces are adorable too!  So this weekend, each of us decorated our own pumpkin face (Marilyn needed a little extra help) and we hung our first Halloween decorations.
 
Things you need:
paper plates
orange paint (washable)
paint brushes
pencil/crayon
black marker
scissors
black construction paper
tape
 
I had the kids each draw a "face" on the back of a paper plate.  Marilyn & I worked together on hers.  When they were done, I traced over their "face" with a black marker so that the face would still be visible once they painted it.
 Next step came the paint - obviously their favorite part.  I had paint brushes for them to use, but Abby & Marilyn liked the idea of finger painting much better.  What every works, right?
 While the plates were drying, I had the kids cut strips of black construction paper that would eventually be used for the background behind the cut out faces.  This was definitely good scissor practice for Abby who doesn't get to use them nearly as often as Thomas does.
 After the pumpkin faces were dry, I cut out the eyes, noses, and mouths of each face and then taped small strips of black paper over the holes.
Finally...
our finished family of pumpkin faces!
 In the end, I decided to personalize the plates because I know how excited the kids get to see THEIR letter to their name on their art.  Well, that and I thought it would be cute because the neighborhood kids also like to see who's face is whose.
We have some glowing ghosts that we will be crafting next weekend...
more Halloween decorations to come!
 
 

No comments: