Tuesday, October 16, 2012

My 5-year old Sponge

Over the last month & a half that Thomas has been in school, his learning has exploded.  Every day he amazes me with something new that he talks about, is practicing or has even mastered.  Whether its drawing pictures and telling the stories that go along with it, adding numbers together on paper, or wanting to write a letter to his Pop-Pop....as an educator and as a mom, I couldn't be more thrilled with how much he loves school & learning. 

I would be lying if I said that I knew how quickly he would be learning things this semester in kindergarten.  I'm A-M-A-Z-E-D!  And it isn't even Halloween yet... I can't imagine all he will have learned by the time May comes around? 

On a side note - I think kindergarten teachers have invisible hallos above their head & have a VIP ticket to the golden gates of heaven simply by default of their job & passion.

In any given day, Thomas is doing any or all of the following (a gazillion times):
T: Mom, how do you spell _______?
T: Did you know that the word _____ rhymes withe the word _____?
T: Do you know that you have to capitalize the first letter of this first word in the sentence?
T: Mom, the period goes right here at the end of the sentence.
T: What does this word say, Mom?
Draws a gazillion pictures of anything and everything - thank goodness I have crayons & markers both upstairs & downstairs along with a truck load of construction paper.
When writing his words, he pauses and sticks a single finger on his paper to ensure there is enough room between his words.
Sing songs (the days of the week, months of the year, the pizza song, etc)... memorization
He adds captions to almost all of his artwork...even if he doesn't know how to spell it, he phonetically writes it.

I'm 100% in amazement at my 5-year old little sponge & I love that he wants to learn. 
 
 

No comments: