Monday, August 13, 2012

Just to clarify


When I think of the future and I think of my children reading this blog, I wonder, am I representing the truth? Am I creating some virtual image of what our life is like, somehow missing the reality? I'd like to believe that I'm not. I'd like to think that I'm being honest and I represent life as it really is. I know that what I write here is honest, but does it provide the picture of our entire life? I realize that writing a few sentences once a day certainly can't capture everything, but I wonder if what I capture is representative of our lives and of me, as a mother.
If not, let me clarify a few things:
On a daily basis, my house is organized.  Somewhat.  I can't always keep a grip on the gazillion toys, but 95% of everything has a place & makes it back there at the end of the day.
I said my house might be organized, but it really isn't always clean.  Sure bed linens get changed weekly, dishes are done daily, fresh bath towels are hung regularly and the wiping down of counters & tables happens after every use... but I struggle with getting everything else done on a regular basis.
I yell at the kids too much. But, I'm working on it. I'm trying to be better.
I do not like meal planning.  Some nights I would prefer to just eat a bowl of soup or make a sandwich... but I have a family to feed & they would prefer NOT to eat those 2 things for dinner unless it really is necessary or there is nothing else in the house.
I am overly critical. But again, I am working on it.
We immunize our kids and I can't imagine not doing it.
I don't always like the way I look, but never once have I said that I feel fat or ugly in front of my girls.
I say "just a minute," "hold on," "later," and "soon" too much.
I breastfed all of my babies... be it for 3 weeks, 5 months or 1 year... and I'm so thankful I could.
I can be spiteful and I do it well. I have to work hard to not do it because it comes so naturally to me.
I've always loved having a career & being a working mom.  But this past year as a stay-at-home mom was exceptionally nice to just have time to soak in every precious moment with the kids.
My feet are in a constant state of disrepair.  Seriously.
There are days that I just don't feel like I did a great job at parenting.
I am a closed-off person.  I keep feelings to myself in part because I am overly emotional.
I kiss Brian every time he leaves for work in the morning, when he returns home in the evenings, and before bedtime.
I struggle with finding my place in religion.
I love reading bed time books with the kids.
There is no relationship in my life that would supersede my relationship with Brian.
I would kill for my children.
Without an office in this house to stash mail/junk, there are forever piles of magazines & to-do folders sitting on my kitchen counter.
I never have to want for anything. Brian is that kind of provider and man.
I never thought I'd grow into a woman who allowed herself to be provided for.
Motherhood changed my perspective on almost everything. Mostly for the better.



No comments: