Monday, November 1, 2010

The awful hour (or two)

There is no doubt that the part of the day that I least look forward to is the moment we get home each afternoon. From about 4:30 until about 5:45 (or so), things are moving at lightening speed and I have two children who want every ounce of my attention and lov'ins... all while I need to make dinner. I've heard it called many things, but the more "G" rated title is the witching hour, when the day's stresses catch up witht the whole family, turning well-mannered children into kidzillas. It is the hour that gives me a headache. It is the hour that both of my children are least like themselves. It is the hour that I can't wait for to be over. On top of all of that... it is twice the burden when my better half is gone and it is me to handle the awful hour.

Experts say that this is the time of day when "blood sugar is at its lowest, and fatigue is high. Families are in transition, and kids are often at their neediest. It's no small wonder that this time of day can feel like a lethal experience for parents." My question, as well as that of many parents is how do you switch gears while keeping the peace, without resorting to a glass of white zinfindel and earplugs? I can tell you that I have tried several tactics (with only partial success) and I'm ready for more suggestions!

Here are suggestions - some of which I have tried:
  • Dress the part of parent - change out of work clothes and into comfy clothes to help the mental shift and help a parent to relax. Done it! Tried it! It does help me for sure.
  • Get a dose of nature - go for a walk or head out to the backyard. This really does work and it so helps relax... problem is juggling this with fixing dinner. It is so hard to do both. I end up compromising so I can do both but that is never well received.
  • Give kids what they want - you! Giving the kids my total attention for just 10-15 minutes really helps after a day of separation. Usually the two of them then start to play with their toys or something more entertaining after that.
  • Host a kiddie cocktail hour. Usually we always have cut up grapes on hand with little cheese slices on a small table in the kitchen. They usually snack on healthy things while I can get things moving for dinner.
  • Set the stage for calm - music, lights, pillows, blankets, etc. Nope... haven't tried this. I have a crazy wild dog that is also running around the house too at the same time wanting a walk and attention also. It just doesn't sound like it would work.
  • Ignore the phone. I do all the time. If it isn't an opportunity for me to talk, then I just let it go to voice mail and I get back with callers later.
  • Put on your own oxygen mask first - you need both parents for this to happen. Only works when my partner in crime is here.
  • Go "bowling"... just means a simple dinner - cereal, frozen pancakes/waffles, PB & J sandwiches, etc. We definately do this and the kids love when we do this! It allows for a lot more time with the kids also.
  • Create a comforting tradition - there just isn't time, especially when I'm solo.
  • Put your kids to work - Thomas helps get bowls, pots, mixing spoons out... but other than that, it is hard when the kids are only 3 and 1 years old.
  • Feed young kids early - we eat early... as in 5 or so. As soon as I can get dinner made and on plates, we are eating dinner.
  • Help kids decompress. I've started to do this with crayons and a coloring book on a small table in the kitchen. Thomas loves the coloring and Abby is just as thrilled taking crayons out of the big container & then putting them all back in (lather & repeat several times over).

Well... now that I've "talked" about this, I'm realizing that I really am trying to do a lot of different things to help this awful hour. I think the biggest & most important thing that I can continue to do is give Thomas & Abby my attention for 15 or 20 minutes when we first come home. We can snuggle, play with toys and even just go outside & play on the jungle gym. Even if dinner is delayed by 10-15 minutes... what is the big deal if my kids and me have both calmed down and have had a chance to just be with each other? Note to self... do more of that.

No comments: