Thursday, October 14, 2010

The younger sister

I don't know what it is like to be the younger sibling. Neither does Daddy. We both come from families where there are two children... but both of us are the elder of the two. We both only know what it is like to be the "big sister" or "big brother." We both are experienced with having the tag-along, always-hanging around, bratty, naggy, whinny little sisters who are getting us in trouble. Of course I say this all now with love. Lots of love. This description is just what I thought of my younger sister when I was a kid. Turns out, my mom was right all those years she preached at both of us that we would need each other and rely on each other when we were older. In fact, my younger sister Jennifer is now my best friend.

I find that pretty interesting because of the relationship between Thomas & Abbigail that is developing. Thomas will always be the older brother and Abby the younger sister. Again, I don't know exactly what that relationship is like... I only have a sister. Daddy, on the other hand, does. His younger sister is 6 years his junior and I'm quite certain he will be able to relate to how Thomas might feel as he gets older and has a younger sister to contend with. Good or bad.

What brings me to blog about this issue of birth order and brother/sister bonds is a set of pictures that I took last weekend (which I thought were adorable). It sooooooo captures Abbigail trying to keep up with her big brother and Thomas getting a little impatient having to stop and wait for her. I'm sure there are many years ahead of us where this will happen quite often:
A: "Wait for me, Thomas!"
T: "Oh my goodness Abby... HURRY-UP! You are so slow!"
A: (Tears & whines) "Wait, wait... don't start without me! I want to see the horsey too!"


No comments: