Saturday, October 23, 2010

Oh my! I hope not.

By that I mean, "I hope this really isn't me, despite the fact that almost everything in the picture represents a piece of me as a teacher." I just hope that I don't really look like that (ie: shoes, plaid long skirt, thick, black-rimmed glasses, and "disheveled hair"). Oh my...

The truth of the matter is I love my job. Actually, its not a job. It really is a passion and most certainly a profession. I love the impact that I have on kids - not just history - but rather being a mentor, being a positive influence, and making a difference in kids' lives who need it or want it. Don't get me wrong, there are many days that I do have second thoughts on whether I want to continue in education or even move forward with my future plans of getting into administration. But more often than not, on those "difficult" days, there is usually some well-timed, sincere and most appreciative student who shows up to talk about a problem or I get an email/letter from a past student who has taken the time to write to me and tell me how much they valued me as a mentor/teacher back when they were in my class or in school. Those are all the feel-good moments that bring me back to my reality and remind that I am a good teacher and love what I do...

... despite the never ending work load that has to come home with me; the low pay; the out-of-pocket expenses; the endless criticism from parents & some of their students; and the excessive paperwork despite the Dept of Eduction going paperless.

I really do love teaching.  I just hope I don't look like her.

No comments: