Monday, December 9, 2013

His first admirer

Thomas has his first real admirer.
This little girl is in his 1st grade class.
She sits at the same table as he does in class.
She sits near him at lunch.
Thomas says she is really nice and she is his friend.
Thomas says she is funny and sweet.
She also lives in our neighborhood and they both ride the same bus.
Thomas says that she has told him several times, "I like you."
Thomas has also shared with me that she has said, "I love you."

The other day, I got a phone call from the principal.
Apparently, the little girl kissed Thomas on the playground.
Not on the lips, but on the back of the neck.
When he got home from school, he told me it's not the first time she has tried to do that.

Hmmmm...
I took the opportunity yesterday to have a teachable moment with my baby boy.  What I wanted to say was, "Girls are bad!  They are drama-filled, hormone raged little monsters.  Stay away from them and don't you dare let one of them kiss you!"
But instead, I had a great, teachable-moment-kind-of-conversation with Thomas about friendships and relationships.  I tried not to squeeze out every last detail, but rather I started with general questions and just followed his lead.  I have to admit, I was worried for a moment that he might share with me she was his girlfriend and they decided to get married at recess.  *Ghhezz*  Thankfully that wasn't the case.  We talked about how our friends make us feel and that it is absolutely OK to have a great time with a friend - boy or girl.  And it's even OK to give your friend a quick hug.  BUT, I was very clear, it is not OK to be kissing any of your friends - back of the neck, cheek or even the lips.  Period.

After all, a mom has got to do what a mom has to do to keep her baby boy safe from all those girls out there in the world. *sigh*

No comments: