Friday, June 1, 2012

The German Dress

One of my mom's favorite things I think she ever saved from my childhood was this German dress she bought sometime after I was born in Germany.  It really is beautifully handcrafted and quite traditional.
Me - circa 1975
 My sister, "Aunt Jen" even got to sport around in this festive dress - circa 1980

Over the years, my mother kept the dress through all of our military moves.  However, for a period of time, my Aunt Trisha borrowed the dress and my two youngest cousins, Erin (now 18) & Emily (now 15) each wore the German dress as well.  I guess to some extent it has become something of a family affair.

Fast forward about 12 years and the dress has been passed onto me for my girls.  After much coaxing and convincing, I got Abbigail to try on the German dress recently.  In order for this to happen, I had to tell her it was a princess costume that used to be mine from when I was a little girl.  I also had to have both my camera and iPhone already "on" and ready to go in order to get some quick pictures before she changed her mind.
 I probably should have done this about 6-12 months ago... then it wouldn't have looked like she was wearing a mini-German skirt serving beers at Oktoberfest.  Way to go Mom.
 And after about 33 seconds, her mood quickly changed and she decided that this was NOT what she wanted to be dressed in.  Thank the good Lord that I got a few pictures already taken by this point that could document the "wearing of the dress."
And then there is my youngest sweet patunia, Marilyn... I was able to get her dolled up in the dress and she looked like a cutie-pa-tutie.


I will continue to house the traditional German dress that my mom bought so long ago - with hopes that there will be new cousins, 2nd cousins, and grandchildren in the future who can wear the original red princess dress too.

 

No comments: