Thursday, June 14, 2012

No Go Fishing

 One of the things Tom (my father-in-law), Brian and I were most looking forward to when we headed down to Seward was go fishing offshore.  It has been WAY too long since we were out on a boat.  Matter of fact, it has been over a year for Brian (since he sold our boat before moving up from Florida) and closer to 2 years for me because of being pregnant with Marilyn.

This was our view that morning walking down the dock to the boat and looking out on the harbor & Resurrection Bay.
.
Although the scenerie was gorgeous, the weather was comfortable and our excitement level was high, there was a storm brewing in the Gulf of Alaska and the winds were expected to turn nasty by late morning.  It was decided after much consideration that it was best not to venture out in the 27' boat that could easily be tossed about in the high seas that would surely be present.  To say the least, I was disappointed.  Not only because I was ready to catch some big fish, but probably even more anxious to just have a day with my husband.  As much as I love my three munchkins, I am LONG overdue for a break from them and their sweet, smiling, never-arguing, always cooperative, laughing, goofy, silly, screaming and kissable faces.
*wink-wink*
Oh well... such is life, right?
Instead of fishing, my hubby and I did scoot away for about an hour to enjoy some delicious breakfast on a impromptu morning date.
Don't be mistaken by this picture -
That is not the heavenly gates opening up and shining light down on Brian and his breakfast special (Snow Crab Eggs Benedict).  However, I will admit that I felt heavenly just sitting there enjoying a cup of coffee (in peace), talking with my hubs without constant "Excuse me Mommy" and slowing enjoying every bite of my breakfast without the hustle and bustle of cutting food up on 3 different plates, wiping up spills, and giving wipe-downs when everyone was done.
Simply put... it was really nice.
Because our fishing plans for the day got put on hold cancelled, we quickly scrambled and put Plan B into action to get the kids up and moving that morning!
Although they were all perfectly content staying in their 'jammies while snacking and playing with Grannie in the cabin.  Matter of fact, I'm sure they would have liked nothing more than to do that ALL DAY LONG.  That is... being spoiled all day.
After getting everyone dressed and ready,
we hit up the big playground along the water.
Took a walk along the rock beach.
Pop-Pop even found an old coin that he was certain was worth a gazillion dollars.
After bringing it home and cleaning it up real good, it turns out it isn't worth more than 25 cents because it is a 1989 quarter.  I think he was slightly disappointed.


I've come to realize over time that an empty skateboard park is a favorite place for my little ones to run, climb, slide and play.
Thomas found a friend there who had the same idea he did - climb to the top and slide down to the bottom.  Over and over again.
Daddy and Thomas took a stroll out to the water to skip some rocks and check out the waves.
Yes, I said waves.
At this point in the morning, we were a little ticked off because there was no sign of winds and high waves.  None.
But a few hours later, the winds turned and the Bay (and Gulf for sure) turned ugly.  We would later find out that dozens of boats were stuck and couldn't make it into shore for hours.  I'm thankful no one was injured but I am even more thankful we made the right decision to not go out on the water.


PS... I'm embarrassed to say that I still have more pictures and stories to share from Seward.  I think it is safe to say that the amount of pictures I took down there equates to how much fun we had.   

No comments: