Thursday, January 5, 2012

Little truths I've learned along the way

It has taken a complete relocation from Florida to Alaska for me to learn these little truths:
  1. Within moments of being outside when it is below zero, boogers in your nose will freeze.
  2. I now understand how important it is to wear under layers in extreme cold weather.
  3. I think all cars should be designed and built with autostart, seat warmers and automatic doors.  Oh wait, mine does.  Thank god.  Brian is not so lucky at this point.
  4. Dry air sucks.  Static hair, touches that shock, dry & rashy skin, workout clothes that stick to you, nasal and sinus congestion.  I never thought I would miss humidity.
  5. Fresh snow is one of the prettiest things that Mother Nature has ever created.
  6. Despite the long dark days, the canopy created by the snow clouds & the fresh snow reduce the area that light can reflect.  Basically, fresh snow makes it look lighter outside.
  7. Bundling three young children up in winter gear to leave the house is a pain in the butt.  Sometimes I do it once a day; sometimes it happens 3 or 4 times a day.  Boots, zippers, gloves.  Boots, zippers, gloves.  Lather. Rinse. Repeat. 
  8. The kind of snow shovel that you have does make a difference.  Seriously.
  9. Never would I have thought that less than 6 hours of daylight would be OK.  Life is still the same; we are still busy; it just happens to be a little darker while we are doing it all.
 

No comments: