Thursday, January 12, 2012

My little enchilada

It seems like almost overnight, Thomas has started speaking Spanish.  Well, not really... he isn't using sentences, verbs, or even pronouns, but he has quite the list of Spanish words added to his repertoire.  I'd like to credit his new preschool for my new bi-lingual child (he-he), however I have a feeling it has much more to do with some of his favorite Nick Jr shows... "Go, Diego, Go" and "Dora the Explorer."
  • up - arriba
  • down - abajo
  • stop - parada
  • bathroom - baño
  • quick - rápido
  • water - agua
  • friend - amigo
  • hi - hola
  • goodbye - adiós
  • thank you - gracias
  • you are welcome - de nada
  • eggs - huevo
  • red - rojo
  • cold - frío
  • hot - caliente
  • Counting numbers 1-5 (and he can get to 10 with my help)
This list is just off the top of my head.  I'm just waiting for him to say enchilada, taco and cerveza too.  Seriously... he will either be in the middle of a conversation with you and say, "Mom, that word is ___________ in Spanish," or he will blurt out the Spanish word instead of using the English word.  And each new time he does it, I am left standing there in amazement.  To me, it seems as if he is learning a foreign language faster than high schoolers learn it and they sit in a 50-minute class 5x a week.  Imagine if me or Brian actually spoke another language how quickly the kids would become bilingual?  Those little brains are just like sponges waiting to obsorb anything you throw at them.


No comments: