Monday, June 7, 2010

Data Queen!

My run tonight was awesome!  Not only will it be my last run here in the (almost) mile high city of Ft. Collins, but it was my best.  First, you must know that I am someone driven by data.  I love data!  In my former life (Hindu or Buddhist... that is a shout out to all my AP World students), I'm sure I was a data collector... a statistician?  For example, I collect and keep data in my class when it comes to test scores, be it in one class or all classes and then I also compare over the course of each year.  When I was a soccer coach, I collected and kept data on how my team did with corner kicks, free kicks, penalty kicks, wins & losses, etc.  Heck... I have even kept stats with my two kids: weight, height, what percentile are they in for their age group? You get the drift, right?
So... it shouldn't surprise you at all that when I run... I'm driven by data.  I like to be able to compare time and/or distance each time I run.  I do that to see improvement in myself.  I have always liked knowing where I fall in the mix either against myself (meaning my performance) or against others.  It must have something to do with the athlete in me... I don't know.  All I know is I'm motivated by stats.  Which brings me to the point of my blog tonight... how I'm doing running at 5,000 feet elevation... but more importantly, how I'm doing Running.  Period.  I finished again faster than I did last night (40 seconds faster) and it felt so good.  Truely, I'm not sure on distance because I never had the chance to measure it out while I've been here, but I know that each time I add distance and after a few runs, my time is still getting faster - WELL... that is a no brainer... I'm do'n good!

I think I'm going to ask for some help from my super-duper athletic husband (who is an insane runner... distance & speed).  I want him to let me come up to the HORSE the next time he is giving a PT (physical fitness test... he is a PT Leader) and let me jump in with all them and take the test.  I figured I could measure myself (and my progress) up against Air Force standards for a woman in my age group.  I'm always hearing about Brian in the "excellent" category earning 90 or more points on his test.  I figured this would be a good measure for me to know where I stand.  I'll get back to you on that...

No comments: