Sunday, November 25, 2012

Holiday Tree Lighting Ceremony



I made a last minute decision Friday afternoon and decided that my crew and I would head downtown that night to enjoy the sights & sounds of the Annual Downtown Holiday Tree Lighting Ceremony.  It was our first up here in Anchorage. 
So with temperatures hoovering in the low-teens, I bundled us all up and we headed out.
I had expected a large crowd, beautiful lights, music and seeing Santa arrive to the light the TownCenter holiday tree as part of the celebration.
Just like any big event in a large urban city.
But it was so much more.
I was surprised, and really in awe, to find that this community kick off of the holiday season anything but urban & big city.  It was quite the contrary. 
There were cookies and hot cocoa for everyone compliments of the Salvation Army.
And I mean everyone.
 
And did I mention the candy canes from Santa?
But there is no denying that seeing Santa's reindeers up close & personal (and with no one else around because they were waiting for the ceremony to begin right near our parked car) was pretty neat.  The kids were most certainly in holiday "awe!"
 Unfortunately, I told Thomas & the girls that we weren't staying (to wait in the very long line) to sit on Santa's lap that night.  I didn't realize just how disappointed Thomas really was until we got home and he had hardly spoken a word to me. 
After tucking the girls into bed, we sat up and talked about not seeing Santa that night.  He ultimately was worried that he wouldn't see him again before Christmas.  But when I asked him what he would have asked Santa to bring him for Christmas had he sat on his lap... he couldn't think of anything that was on his Christmas list.  So, I told him now we had more time to think about one really important and special present that he would like.
Eventually, Thomas came around but it became abundantly clear that we MUST see & sit on Santa's lap this year... no exceptions!


No comments: