Thursday, November 29, 2012

HAND-made ornaments

 
Salt Dough Hand Ornaments
 
To make:
1/2 cup salt
1/2 cup plain flour
1/4 cup water (give or take)
Knead until dough forms.
 Make impression and cut out hand shape with a knife leaving a border.
Poke a hole in top for hanging.
Bake at 200 F for 3 hours.
Paint, Seal and ready to hang.
 
Here is my gang chomping at the bit to get started!
We did hand impressions, but we had some leftover dough so we also did cookie cut outs & a thumb-printed holly leaf.
(Note: I doubled the recipe and it was only big enough for what you see here)

Once things were cooled off, we got busy painting and decorating.
I've found that if we have painting paper, smocks, brushes and plenty of paint... the kids stay busy having fun creating while I can pull them aside individually to paint their ornaments and/or take cute pictures of them.



Mommy did the painting of the hands, the kids painted the shapes.
 Ready to hang


 Unfortunately, I made the Santa ornaments a bit thick.
Actually... a LOT thick. 
I guess this will be a lesson for next year.
Additionally, this was not a quick craft by any means.  Matter of fact, time consuming. 
Although the end product is adorable and sweet, I'm going to have to rethink a quicker version of this for next time.
 
Either way, our HAND-made ornaments are ready to be hung this Christmas.


No comments: