Monday, July 9, 2012

Voice of Reason

I'm stubborn.
I'll admit it.
I think in large because I want to be in control of things.  When I make a decision, I want to stick to it.  Sometimes (to a fault), I don't want to second guess my decision.. and that includes when some kind of routine is involved. 

When I get into a routine, I thrive.  I like routine.  It helps things run smoothly.  A certain kind of predictability is nice when there is routine.  I feel like I can better plan when there is a routine in place.  Whether it is what the day involves with the kids, what I do at naptime when the house is quiet and I can hear myself think for the first time in hours, or even how well my runs are going in terms of mileage or pace.

Which brings us to the topic of this post.  My running.
Before dealing with my annoying & painful Plantar Fasciitis (heel pain), I had gotten into a great running routine.  Three times a week, drop Thomas off a school, bring Abby to speech and afterwards do a stroller run with the girls for 3-4 miles.  Each week I felt stronger and stronger and my pace got faster and faster.  I thrive on routine (and data if you'll remember).
Unfortunately, as the weeks went by, I felt more and more pain in my foot/heel with each run.  However, I am stubborn.  I kept running.  I continued to do my stretching, but I kept running.  I also kept the pain to myself... meaning, I didn't bother to mention it to my hubby.  Why you ask?  Because I knew, just knew, what he would say to me.  He, a very avid runner, would tell me that I wasn't listening to my body & that I needed to research what the pain was and follow the protocol (stretch, ice, rest... repeat).  The thing is I just didn't want to stop running, stop my routine.  I felt like I was in a really good place with my running and if I stopped... well, hell... I would have to start all over again.  Have I mentioned that I'm stubborn?

Eventually, the pain got to be too much.  So much so that I was literally hobbling like my 97-year old grandmother for upwards of 24 hours after a run (and in a lot of pain).  That is no fun when you have a 5-, 2- and 1-year old to chase after.  I was forced to stop running - not just by the pain, but also because of my much needed Voice of Reason.  My husband.

Fast forward several weeks - much rest, much stretching, 1 podiatrist office visit, and 2 cortizone shots later (one in each foot) - I decided that I can't stand it anymore, I need to get back out and start running again.  My plan was to do a mile.  Nothing fast, but a mile none-the-less.  Once again, my Voice of Reason had something to say about it.  "Make sure you stretch well before you leave, walk 1/4 of a mile, stretch it, run your mile, stretch it, walk 1/4 of a mile, and then stretch it again.  Blah, blah, blah!"  I knew he was right.  After all, not only is he an avid (and fast runner), he is a lead PTL (Physical Training Leader) in the Air Force, scores nothing less than "excellent" on his PT tests, and as well, has had many troops with this same diagnosis & needed to coach them back up to running speed.  Against my stubborn nature... I do listen to him. 

It felt great to be back out running this morning.  Not only was I on a quiet run with nature all around me, it was also a gorgeous & cool 45 degrees on this July morning.  I am excited to be back up on the horse again, despite all of my frustrations with this heel thing.  I'm also trying to be less stubborn & listen to those around me who might just know a tad (but not much) more than me about this injury.  In the end, Brian IS my Voice of Reason.



No comments: