Thursday, July 26, 2012

20 years ago

1992.
My high school graduation.

That seems so long ago.
Well, heck... it was.  Not even 18 years old & I was finishing, what many people consider to be the first big milestone in a young person's life, my first round of education.
This weekend, my dear old friends from WSHS will be celebrating with our 20 year reunion.
They will gather for good company, good food & drinks.
Some friends they have kept up with over the years; others it has been two decades since they spoke.
They will introduce their families to old friends & old friends to their families.
Surely they will share stories of the past 20 years & enjoy a lot of laughs.
Some will look the same, others will be transformed by the years.
Some will not attend the reunion {like myself} but will be there in spirit.
Others will be remembered because they have already passed away.
I'm reminded of who I used to be back then, 20 years ago -
Soccer-player, lifeguard, good student, good friend, military brat.  Influential & easily influenced.  Idealist & naive at the same time.
In some ways I'm the same young girl {at heart}, in other ways I'm a very different person.
I have no regrets through my life, but like many folks, I have to say there were some moments I'm not proud of from my youth. 
I am also reminded that every experience I have had {good or bad} has made me the person I am today -
Mother, wife, daughter, sister, friend, educator, and athlete.
20 years has gone by fast, but 20 years has also been a long time.

1992 - High school graduation
1992 - Torn ACL playing college ball - knee surgery
1996 - College graduation
1997 - Started teaching & coaching career
2002 - Diagnosed with ACM - brain surgery
2002 - Became first time home owner
2003 - Met the love of my life
2004 - Married Brian
2004 - Moved overseas to the Azores
2006 - Finished 1st Masters Degree
2006 - Returned back to the US/Florida
2007 - Birth of our son, Thomas
2008 - 1st 8-month deployment as a Mommy
2009 - Awarded Teacher of the Year at CHS
2009 - Birth of our daughter, Abbigail
2010 - 2nd 8-month deployment as a Mommy
2011 - Birth of our daughter, Marilyn
2011 - Moved to Alaska
2012 - Candidate for my M.Ed
2012/13 - Contemplating our family retiring from Air Force or taking another assignment??

I do wonder what my next 20 years will hold?



No comments: