Monday, September 13, 2010

Holy Hotness

The only way that my schedule will allow me to squeeze in an afternoon run is marking it down on my calendar as an appointment.  Sad as it may be, fitting in exercise time during the current state of the Heck household always proves more challenging.  But, I'm happy to say that I'm back on the horse.  At promptly 2:30, I hung up the "teacher hat" (usually I don't take that off until 3:30), went and changed into my running gear, grabbed my iPod and headed out the school doors.  To my dismay, it was HOT outside.  Of course it has been hot outside every afternoon since early May, but I guess it became blatenly clear of that hot temps now that I was about to go on a run.  When I say HOT, I mean that things are still registering at 95 degrees.  This was a far cry from the 78 degrees I was used to running in at 4:00AM when Brian was home.  Nevertheless, I pressed on and ran about 2.8 miles.
When I got back to the car, I felt great.  Granted, I was hotter than the gates of "you know where," but running always makes me feel awesome, strong, capable and clear-headed.  I grabbed my humungo bottle of water and went in the shade and just stretched.  One of the most important things you can do for yourself after a run is stretch, and yet, because it is usually 4:30am when I get back from a run and I'm racing against the "shower, get dressed, kids up & also dressed and out the door" clock - well, I just rarely ever stretch.

Not today - I planned accordingly and had 15 minutes to spare before I needed to pick the kids up.  That left me plenty of time for stretching, some abs and even a set of pushups.  I guess the trade off for running in the afternoon is more "me-exercise" time without feeling rushed.  Unfortunately, there are certainly a TON of negatives about having to squeeze the running in the afternoon... manly losing planning & work time in my classroom.  But when it all comes down to it... I'll take an hour of a good old sweat session over grading papers or having a parent-conference any day.

BTW... my feet are hurt'in.  I must be getting old. I'm gonna hit my hubby up for a good old foot rub when he finally gets home.

No comments: