Friday, September 10, 2010

Writing... or atleast trying

Thomas is my eldest. I'm a first time parent when it comes to a 3-year old. Every parent knows this... there was no instruction booklet that came with each child... I've been winging it since day one. The nice thing about Abbigail is she was second. At least I have some experience now... with that said, maybe not all my mistakes will scar her for life like they might have with Thomas.

OK, so all joking aside. I really don't know when preschoolers (3 year olds) should/will start writing their letters. Thomas has been coming home lately and grabbing his "Sketch-A-Doodle" and wanting to practice his letters. Granted he has known his letters for about 1.5 years, but now that he is starting to write, as well as recognize some simple sight words, well... I'm just the proudest Mama in the world. I'm over the moon. I'm that parent right now that thinks their kid is the smartest thing since Einstein. Yeap that is my Thomas... writing his letter "E".
OK... now that I've come back down to earth and I realize that he is following the "normal" progression of learning and that this is about the time it most likely starts to happen - I guess I just wanted to share learning news with someone. Just like many of my friends (especially the ones who are in education like myself), I am hoping the millions of tons of books in our house, as well as the time we spend encouraging the looking and reading of them, pays off in the long run with Thomas & Abbigail each becoming good readers.

1 comment:

Danifred said...

I remember the first time I ever saw T write her name by herself. I was over the moon with pride!