Thursday, September 16, 2010

There is no other high


I run.

I run because it makes me feel strong. I run because it makes me (even well past my soccer glory days & now with 2 kids) feel like an athlete. I run because only running makes me drip in sweat. I run because its MY time. I run because it sheds the pounds like no other form of cardio. I run to clear my mind. I run to feel sane. I run to get away (from the daily stresses).
I run because I can.

There is absolutely no other high like running.  There is definately no other work out like it.  There are runs when my certain body parts scream at me (ankles and knees) and try and remind me that I'm not that "young college chick" anymore.  I push through that nonsense.  I remind myself, when I'm nearing the end of a run and I really want to quite... that I'm in the best shape of my adult life.  It has been 18 years since I tore my ACL playing college soccer and since then, I've never really given myself the "me" time I needed (or deserved) to make sure that I was healthy and strong.  That is until just a few months ago.

Even in the heat of the late summer months on my afternoon runs, running is the best feeling when you are all said and done.  I've been holding steady at about 3 miles per run and will probably stay at the distance until the afternoons begin to cool down in a few weeks.  Once that happens, we will up the distance and start setting my sights on the November goal... 13.1 miles baby!!!!!

No comments: