Sunday, July 18, 2010

family humps

For the usual HeckLure readers - please forgive me for not blogging about the kids or the adventures, but I must vent:
  • In the light of some events this past year that my family is dealing with, my sister (who is my best friend) has reminded me that our parents did a damn good job raising two girls to be independent thinkers, to be compassionate towards others' unfortunate circumstances, speak up for ourselves, fight your own battles (or at least do it with the help of your sister), and keep our word (which is at the core of your integrity). I called my mom yesterday to tell her this & also tell her thank you. I'm going to call my dad tomorrow night for the same reason.
  • What spurred this conversation on with my sister was how others were raised - or at least how they appear to be raised. Or heck, maybe its not how they were raised at all... maybe its the decisions they have chosen since being old enough to make their own. I will be the first to tell you that no family (mine included) is without its dysfunction, quirks, random "nuts", and members who you want to look at and ask "who are you related to?"... but I digress. In dealing with a family situation, I'm very frustrated with one individual because of a past incident this year.
  • I'm reminded that different situations in people's lives bring out different sides to them. Some people will be a surprise because they rise to the occasion of need; others might disappoint when they don't come through for you or are very critical in a time of needed prayers & thoughts & comforting words... even family falls into this category.
  • I'm trying to dig deep and not be bitter or angry or even resentful. As my biggest weakness, I hold grudges. I don't like that I do, but I do. I'm looking within to let go and move on.

OK... I feel better. OK, maybe not 100% better, but at least a little better that I vented. Good night. The sun comes up tomorrow, just like all days, and it is a new, fresh day. Good things can happen.

No comments: