Saturday, July 24, 2010

A Salesman...

... is what my hubby should be in his next lifetime. It is ridiculous. As mentioned in "Friday Night Leftovers," we had a garage sale this morning. We did great. Got rid of lots of things that have just been sitting around collecting dust or things that the kids have outgrown (ie: infant stuff). However, why is it that Brian will make a ton of bucks on things that he doesn't even intend on selling? Or knows just what to put up for sale that he knows what people will buy?

The first guy up our drive way this morning was a professional. You know - a person that goes to a gazillion garage sales all before 8:30am looking for things to buy just so he/she can turn around and sell it at their flea market or pawn store. Anyway, the guy asks Brian if he has any gold he is selling. I quickly interject and say, "nope... we don't have much jewelry. Sorry." The guy goes on to explain this is his business of buying old gold from people, etc." Brian's proverbial light goes of in his head and he says, "actually, I might have a few old gold pieces. I'll be right back." 15 minutes later Brian has sold the guy a total of 4 OLD pieces of gold that have been sitting in the back of our office closet since I have known Brian and the guy has given Brian $350. Yes, isn't that insane? How come I don't have that luck? Bastard. As the guy walks away, Brian fans the $100 dollar bills my way and gives me one of his smirks as if to say, "So, honey, what have you sold so far?" OHHHHHH, game on!

Just 45 minutes later (now its only 7:45am), this surplus-buying guy walks up who specializes in purchasing used military gear. Boy did he come walking up to the right house. He pays some pretty good money for all kinds of goods - BINGO for Brian. Granted, Brian didn't bother to dig out the 1/2 dozen boxes of all his old Airborne gear or deployment crap that just sits in the attic - but as soon as this guy gave Brian his spiel - Brian was up in the 200 degree attic pulling down boxes and off loading gear to him. 20 minutes later Brian was flashing more big bills my way. Meanwhile, by that point I had only about $7.25 in my pocket from selling some old photo frames and infant blankets. Damn. He's good.


Needless to say, most of the big stuff went and what is leftover will probably be donated to a Goodwill Store. Even better than putting some money in our pocket is cleaning out the unused clutter and crap that accumulates overtime in your house. Oh what a good feeling it is to purge. Even if Brian sold 10x the amount of stuff I did. His money is ALL my money! :)

1 comment:

Danifred said...

My husband is the EXACT same way and it drives me nuts! But, like you, his money is my money :)