Friday, July 9, 2010

Happy 95th Birthday!

We were extremely blessed to be able to visit with my 95-year old Grandmother while we were visiting my Dad last week. Having recently undergone hip surgery, my grandma's recover has been slow and often times frustrating for her who has been independent for the last 20+ years as a widow. But, as most of the Sullivans in my family, she is a fighter and in impeccable health given her age.

The moment we walked in, she immediately said hello to Thomas & Abbigail which brought tears to my eyes. This was the first time meeting Abby and for her to just know her, recognize the two of them and for my children to meet their great-grandmother was very emotional. It has been about 2 years since Thomas last saw her and I'm just not sure how many more summer visits there will be with her... so needless to say... it was quite special.

She is still unbelievably sharp given her age - conversation with her was only difficult because of her loss of hearing. She now uses an amphlifier to help her hear better (conversations as well as listening to the TV). I was so surprised with what she still remembers (what type of history courses I teach) & the current events she is aware of (BP oil spill, World Cup Soccer and the cool weather temps that week in the north). I have to say... I can only hope to be as healthy & sharp as she is at the young age of 95! Happy Birthday Grandma.


No comments: