Friday, August 10, 2012

Friday Night Leftovers (the Plan B edition)


  • Last week ended with me having a meeting with a high school principal in regards to my M.Ed principal internship, securing that position, and worrying about part-time childcare for the girls.
  • There was even consideration of dividing our household - the kids & I returning to FL and Brian staying behind to finish up a curtailed assignment with retirement happening soon.  We realized though that wasn't good for our family... both emotionally & financially.
  • The beginning of the week began with registering Thomas for kindergarten & me donning a new "hat" to wear now as a kindergarten parent and excited about adding all the dates of Fun Fridays, dress up days, parent conference days, and "Muffins with Moms" mornings to my calendars & even possibly joining the PTA.
  • Through the week I began to envision this school year as one that would include the best of both worlds - 1) having a part time internship to finish my M.Ed & putting my "teaching brain" to work again and 2) being at home in the mornings to make breakfast & send Thomas off to school on the bus (especially on the first day of school) and being at home in the afternoon (with a snack, of course) when he returned from school along with getting my quality time with Abby & Marilyn.
  • To end the week, I had an interview yesterday to teach at a local high school.  Yes, an interview.  And you know what?  It went really, really well.  And now, with only a week left before teachers report back to school for preplanning, I am faced with finding full time daycare for the girls and before school care (and possibly after school care) for Thomas.  I will know something for sure this afternoon.
  • Don't get me wrong, I'm already on the ball, but this sure feels like a curve ball has been thrown my way.
  • Did I mention that I just volunteered & got the necessary/required training to be a Key Spouse for the deployed family members in Brian's squadron/group?  Yeah... how I am going to fit those monthly meetings & quarterly training in to my schedule?
  • Did I also mention that this {potential} teaching job requires an additional teaching certification on my part.  Yeah... that means extra classes to take.  Hmm.
  • Lest I forget to mention that this teaching position is at a high school on the other side of town... yes, that means a commute.  And I thought I left that behind when I left Florida.
  • Factor in a short TDY coming up the week school starts and then a longer TDY from October to December and this semester is shaping up to be a busy one!  Extra.  Busy.
  • Just when you have a game plan & get comfortable with it... Plan B comes along and keeps you on your toes.
  • But however full my plate gets, I remind myself that I like a challenge & I also have to consider that whether it ends up being Plan A or Plan B... any and all of it is going to be another feather in my cap for experience.
TGIF folks... enjoy your weekend.  We are quickly losing daylight up here, although it is certainly much more than what folks in the lower-48 have right now.  We are sitting at 16+ hours of sunshine with a sunsrise around 6am and a sunset at 10pm.


No comments: