Tuesday, August 17, 2010

1 year and growing

We visited the doctor's office today for Abbigail's 1-year checkup... I went in with high hopes that she was finally at the 20 lb mark (for goodness sake, I've turned her around already in her carseat... I hope she is legal). I went in thinking this because the girl eats like a horse and seems to be growing like a weed.

weight: 18.4 lbs (10th percentile)
height: 29 3/4 inches (75th percentile)

This all equals out to...
+ 1.4 lbs in weight
+ 2 3/4 inches in height
... in the last three months. Damn. We missed the mark. I'll admit, I've stressed over Abby's weight. Heck, she is in the bottom 10th percentile of all other 1 year old little girls. I don't want Abby to be in the bottom anything when it comes to anything. I guess in the back of my mind I'm comparing her to Thomas (which I know I shouldn't do). As a parent, I know that is wrong. WRONG, WRONG, WRONG. My thing is I'm not comparing their "smarts" or their work ethic or their athletic ability or talents. I'm comparing their growth. But I'm reminded (by many, including our pediatrician) that I'm trying to compare apples to oranges. Little girls tend to be a little smaller; she was born smaller and therefore is in a different part of the growth chart than her brother. The bottom line by our ped doctor is this... "she is just petite, Michelle." She is healthy, active, and hitting all her milestones. *Whoew* OK, I will let this issue go.

Apparently, Abbigail has inherited some of the short Sullivan genes. Or maybe not -75th percentile isn't too shabby... maybe she is just going to be a tall, skinny stringbean.

No comments: