Thursday, May 2, 2013

more than just a cup of sugar

As an adult, and certainly now as a mother, I've not ever experienced this before living where I do now.  Having amazing neighbors.  More specially, amazing Mommy neighbors. 

You know the kind... like-minded as you, have several small children just like you, you enjoy their company, would give the shirt off their back (even in the Alaska winter), and always has a cup of sugar or egg to lend you when you have run out?  Of course, come to think of it, they have lent me much more than that to include children's medicine, broccoli, tomato sauce, ice melt, clothes... you get the idea, right? 

My two Mommy neighbors are so much more than just a cup of sugar though.  They watched our house when we went on vacation.  They shoveled our snow (for 2.5 weeks) while we were away in sunny Florida (I'm quite sure they were taking my name in vain as they froze their butts off).  These same gals also didn't think twice about having a gallon of milk, fresh fruit, breakfast muffins, and a home-cooked dinner waiting for us when we arrived home in the middle of the night from the airport.

Come to think of it, we've helped each other try to break into our homes when we have locked ourselves out.  I mean really, that IS what good neighbors do for each other, isn't it?

Finally, I have lost count how many times we have asked each other to watch our kids so that we can go to appointments, attend some training, go car shopping with just our hubbies, go on a field trip with the big kids, have a lunch date with one of the other kids, or even have some "sanity" time with a cup of coffee and the peace & quiet.

I'm so thankful for having these kind of neighbors - life is just so much easier because of them.  And trust me when I say that they are both so much more than just a cup of sugar to me.

No comments: