Friday, February 8, 2013

Friday Night Leftovers (the biggest decision of our lives so far edition)

Hi weekend... you have no idea how insanely stressful your friend, the week, has been.  Unfortunately, I don't think you are going to be able to offer much reprieve.  That will come in 3 more weeks.  Let's review:
  • Decisions, decisions, decisions!  Brian and I are making the biggest decision of our lives (outside of having children).
  • Difficult decisions surrounding Brian's Air Force career and what we want next for our family is what is on our plate.
  • My thoughts {and emotions} have been up and down and everywhere lately - and I think I can speak for Brian too when I say that I have felt like throwing up at least a dozen times in the last two weeks.
  • On a related note, I know I have a few new gray hairs due to the stress.
  • Every day {or at least every other day} our scenarios change and there are new factors to consider.
  • The biggest question we are sorting through is to retire or not to retire?  After almost 22 years in the AF, Brian has earned that right.
  • When the promotion list comes out at the end of the month, that will dictate the decision.
  • Not selected for rank = retire.  We have already made that choice.  And believe it or not, that's the easist scenario of them all.
  • Selected for rank = difficult decisions lie ahead.  So many factors.
  • Decisions have to and will be made within a few days.
  • I haven't even mentioned that my job opportunities are a big factor as well.  Both here and in Florida.
  • We do have an ideal situation we would like to have happen.  There is a 25-30% of us making that happen.
  • Ironically, Brian has received several phone calls from some high ranking folks both here and in the lower 48 asking to "talk" first before we make any decisions.
  • In the end, it will be a win-win situation for our family.  We will either be celebrating a promotion or celebrating a retirement.  I'm just having a hard time separating the emotional side of everything.  Typical, Michelle.

No comments: