Saturday, January 15, 2011

Without loved ones there

The birth of your child will be one of the most thrilling and emotional experiences in your life. Ideally, you will share this event with your spouse. But when you're a military wife, there is always the possibility that your husband will be away on deployment when your due date arrives.

Good friends Nicky & husband Bryant, and also Laura & husband Patrick (who both happen to be teachers) have/had to deal with military deployments during their pregnancies.  Nicky recently found out they were expecting their first child.  The news came just days before Bryant left for a 6-month deployment to Afghanistan.  Over joyed with the idea that they were pregnant, they had to say their goodbyes.  After spending the holidays apart (although not their first deployment through the holidays), Nicky prepared for her first ultrasound... alone.  "Watching the baby move, hearing the heartbeat, and seeing a life that my husband I made from our love for one another was surreal and miraculous as anything that has ever occurred in my life. However, in that same moment I couldn't help but be sad. The longer that I am a military spouse the more I learn about the hardships and unfairness that this life is engulfed in... My first parent experience I had to experience alone because Bryant is gone at war. It was a moment that I always imagined him holding my hand for and crying with me."  Although Bryant will be home in late April, a few months before their baby is due... my heart breaks for my good friend who is experiencing so many firsts without the love of her life next to her.  I hope she knows that her support system around her is willing and wanting to help her in every possible way until Bryant is home.

On a similar note, yet under different circumstances, Laura found out they were expecting months before Patrick was due to leave on his deployment.  They were together for approximately 5 months when they had to say goodbye.  But Laura & Patrick's story is different, but all too familiar to so many military families dealing with a time of war.  Patrick was not home to experience the birth of his first child.  Laura did not have her loving husband with her next to her hospital bed holding her hand when she gave birth to a beautiful baby boy named Emory.  Instead, Patrick (who happens to be in my hubby's squadron and a good fishing buddy) watched for hours via Skype as Laura helped bring their little miracle of life into this world.  She had support surrounding her but the one she hoped would be there with her was 1/2 a world a way wishing he was.

Although I have not endured what either Nicky or Laura have been faced with, I have however experienced Brian TDY a lot during my pregnancies as well as deploying 3 weeks after Abbigail was born.  Despite the weeks and months with Daddy gone, as a military spouse I feel blessed that he was here to experience the birth & joy of both his little boy and baby girl.  With baby #3 on the way, fingers crossed that nothing comes up unexpected (although, as said before... it is always possible), Daddy will be here to witness and celebrate as we bring another miracle and blessing into this world.

Nicky & Laura - your strength is incredible... it does not go unnoticed, especially by your husbands.  You are an inspiration to me and so many others who hear your story, shed tears for you knowing you are missing your loved one, but saying so many prayers for a safe return home soon so that you can experience the family that you have longed for.

No comments: