Monday, July 22, 2013

The left-field questions

Lately, I have found myself playing Dr. Phil to a very curious 6-year old little boy, fielding lots & lots of left-field questions.  Most of the time, I feel put on the spot.  But I've also come to realize that it's OK to stall for a moment and use the go to line, "That's a r-e-a-l-l-y good question, Thomas.  Well...."

Let me give you some of the most recent inquiries:
  • How old do you have to be to get married?
  • How old do you have to be to die?
  • Why is "so&so's" skin so brown and mine is more white?
  • How was God born?  Who is his mom?
  • Why is that woman so fat?
  • Why is water wet?
  • Will we see Booker & Ziggy up in heaven when we die?
  • Are we having any more babies?
See what I mean?  Some of the these have just stopped me in my tracks & gave me reason to pause for a moment.  Lord knows I can't get upset with him for raising such questions - I know he is curious about so much.  And I especially don't want to turn him away; I want him to know he can come to me with anything.  Anything at all.  Especially the more difficult topics that we will eventually have to deal with in the coming years.

For the record, I try to keep the explanations simple.  Despite his abstract questions, I know that he's still a literal, concrete thinker for the most part.  And... he's still my little baby boy.  Well, at least I still want to think so.


No comments: