Sunday, May 22, 2011

Emotionally attached

I'm emotionally attached.  What can I say?  When it comes to my family & what is most personal to me, my heart (and thus my emotions) most often lead my decision making & explanation process.  Furthermore, when it comes to my kids, I usually am trying to consider (and over consider) how they will handle a given situation.  Some situations are understandable as to why I'm emotional when offering an explanation, such as with Zig's recent death.  I dreaded the questions, "where is zig?  where are his things?  what happened to zig?"  I knew I would have a hard time keeping back the tears & "being strong" when I, myself, hadn't worked past the pain & reality.  But when it came to offering an explanation, I was thinking that the kids (but especially Thomas) would handle things the way I did - emotionally.  Brian tried to tell me otherwise, but I continued to freight about it.  I guess I wasn't considering that kids rebound pretty quickly.  A lot quicker than us adults anyways.  Thomas asked several questions, got upset for a minute, but then pressed on.  I wish I could press on that quickly.  But then again, I'm emotional.

Other things that I have been very emotional about lately (for no apparent reason) also include the following:
  1. The playground set - explaining why some other little boy and his Daddy took it down today and left with it in their truck.  Brian's explanation was simple... "there are lots of playgrounds in Alaska where we are moving and that little boy needed one.  Don't worry... we will buy a bigger one when we move back."  He was upset for just a moment when I talked to him, but quickly moved past it.  I, on the other hand, shed some tears.  Not over the playground, but rather the loss of them having a playground.  I know... pathetic.
  2. Moving seats in the car - Thomas' booster seat was moved to the back today (complete with his own little DVD player & his own space), Marilyn's baby seat was put in where Thomas used to be (which is next to Abby), but poor Abby was left where she has been for almost a year (even though she is excited about having the baby next to her).  So for whatever reason, I felt bad (and thus a little emotional) about Abby not getting any kind of change.  I know... pathetic.
  3. However, this last one is something that I'm quite sure even the kids will not just sweep under the rug.  Eventually, in about 2 months, we will all be saying goodbye to our loved ones who live here -we will have to explain why Grannie, Grandpop, Nana, Aunt Jen and Uncle Ash can't come with us to Alaska.  I know there will be days when they (especially Thomas) will be sad and miss them and that will make things even more difficult for me because I never want the kids to feel unloved, or going without, or feel like they have done something wrong and had something taken from them when that isn't the case at all.  I won't be looking forward to that at all...
I know that the pregnancy hormones have something to do with it, but I also know that it is just the way I am.  I'm just emotional.

No comments: