Wednesday, February 17, 2010

What a week...

I feel like I haven't blogged in a month... sad that it has only been 6 days. What happens when I do that is I end up keeping my thoughts & feelings all bottled up and then I can't remember if I have told certain stories, shared funny moments or vented frustrations... I can't do that now, can I? Anyway - onto what the Heck household has been up to lately...

Thomas' expressions and sentences have become even more clear over the last month - that includes him talking about all the letters of the alphabet, numbers 1-20, expressions that I say (he is very quick to repeat) and silly reactions to so many situations lately. I have to inpart contribute that to him moving up to the "Older Twos" classroom (they are the kids between 2.5 and 3 years old) with Ms. Tonya. I can have some fairly descent conversations with Thomas now and most of the time I am tickled pink that I have someone to talk to (down fall to your hubby being gone this much... I talk to the baby, toddler and dog like its a two-way talk). Anyway, some of Thomas' recent quips that crack me up:
  • "Mama, what his name is?"
  • "Where dat truck go to?"
  • "Mama, you stop! You listen to me (as he is shaking his finger at me). You open your ears. You hear me?"

Recent coversation:

M: Thomas you are doing such a good job putting that puzzle together. Can I help?

T: Please (he says that meaning, "Yes, please")

M: You only have two pieces left...do you know where they go?

T: Right dare Mama! Yeah! Horray!

M: Wow Thomas, that is perfect!

T: Mama, I am perfect! :)

Here we are one afternoon on a walk with Ziggy. Thomas loves to stop at the end of this bridge and tell me all the letters he recognizes. He is sure to always begin with, "There is a "T" for Thomas and an "A" for Abby, Mama." He has recently figured out that Mama begins with the letter "M" and Daddy begins with "D". So smart.

This past weekend out at Nana's house visiting Aunt Jen and Uncle Ash. They are always amazed at how much the kids have grown in the few short weeks that go by between our visits. Becareful Aunt Jen... they will be in high school before you blink and they will both be taller than you too! :)
The big and exciting news at Nana's house is she is getting a new (inground) pool put in. Her entire backyard was dug up and the pool construction was well underway and should be done in the coming days. How exciting!!!! No more Redneck-Above-the-Ground-Pool...
Thomas was very excited about the big yellow "digger" in Nana's backyard... Nana might have even earned some serious cool points for having one of those kind of trucks! I don't think she will be keeping it though... its not her style.
While we were in Niceville visiting Nana, we were sure to stop in at the Children's Park and test out all the slides and playgrounds... two thumbs up from the "slide Master" (aka: thomas).
I was fixing breakfast for the troops last weekend and I peered over the counter because it was awfully quiet and this is what I saw: two children quietly reading and playing. How was this possible? It was short-lived though... 1/2 a moment later, things were loud and rowdy and full of energy once again!
Last Thursday night, Grannnie and Grandpop picked up the kids and had them for the afternoon and evening while I started in on the crazy, insane post-school day extracurricular activities that will be keeping me busy through the end of next week. I also had to attend the TOY banquet that night. Grannie helped me out by baking (with Thomas' help) Valentine's Day cupcakes for Thomas' PJ party on Friday at school. Look at how delicious they look... yummy!
Abby is sitting up so well that I thought I would give the "tubby toddler seat" a try during a bath last week. She really did do great but she was not a fan of it because it wasn't her little blue tubby at all. I even had thomas take his tubby at the same time with hopes that it would distract her... no luck. She cried the entire bath time. Oh well... I tried. I guess we will give it another go next month and see what she thinks then. Meanwhile, can you see Thomas holding up the number "2"... he was "teaching" Abby #1 - #10. Huh? Isn't he quite the big brother.
She sure does look angry at the letter "D"... poor little girl.
Speaking of helpful big brother... I'm not sure how I manage on some days without the help of a 2.5 year old. Isn't that sad? Here I am a grown woman with two college degrees, a background in education and has a Type "A" personality - and yet I depend heavily on a toddler/preschooler for help with some very simple tasks around the house. Thank goodness. But then I realize how good it is for Thomas to do so many things that require him to be independent. He goes potty by himself, will turn on lights in different rooms by himself, can get some necessary items out of the pantry to help me fix some things to eat/drink, etc. Now in part this is because I am only one person and there are two of them... something is bound to give and the results have been thomas learning to do more without my help. I love that I'm raising a smart, independent, caring, sensitive yet aggressive little man (or at least giving it my best shot). We still have a ways to go with somethings (like potty training... doesn't want anything to do with pooping in the potty yet) however other things are coming much easier - brushing his own teeth, making his own decisions about many things and wanting to do even more things on his own without help from anyone. Brian better get home soon or he will be at the stage he is ready to drive the truck without anyone's help. Aughhhhhhh!

Video Clip - Abby and Thomas playing in her room. Look at how tickled she is with him and all that he does. Too funny!

No comments: