Wednesday, February 3, 2010

Amen!

For a few weeks now at dinner, I have noticed on occasion that Thomas has his hands folded together (like people do when they are praying) and he is mumbling something. When he gets done saying whatever it is he is saying, I finally recognize a very clear, "Amen" followed by joyous "Eat now!" He then is all smiles as if he is quite proud of himself. Well, I didn't really chaulk it up to anything except something he must have seen in one of his Disney Channel shows. Then the more I thought about it, I assumed it must be something that he has learned at school. Yesterday when I was picking up Thomas and Abby from school, I asked Ms. Tanya (his teacher) if they said any kind of prayer before lunch or snack time and she said yes! They actually learn this "prayer" when they are in Ms. Deborah's room (the 1-year olds) and from that point forward, every class uses the same one. Anyway, I asked her if she would write it down for me so that we could say it at home before dinner. As soon as she handed me the words, I just started to chuckle because now what Thomas had been mumbling made perfect sense to me.

Help us do the things we should.
Help us to be kind and good.
Help us in our work and play
To grow more loving everyday.

- Amen

- EAT NOW!

So last night, I pulled out the words and asked Thomas if we should fold our hands and say our prayer before dinner? He wasn't quite sure what I meant until I said the first line. A huge smile came across his face as if to say, "Mommy, you know this song?" He immediately chimed in and we repeated it together. As we finished, he quickly exclaimed, "Amen" and "Eat Now" with sheer delight! I loved every moment of it especially when he wanted to do it again.

No comments: