Sunday, August 16, 2009

Worries & Wonders

Well, my "honeymoon" week is over. By that I mean, Brian heads back to work tomorrow and it is just me and my munchkins. I have to admit, part of me is wondering if I will stay sane this week. My worries are keeping Thomas engaged & stimulated (like I have managed to do most of the summer while I have been a stay-at-home mom) and care for our new baby girl at the same time. I have forgotten how time consuming breastfeeding & rocking & just loving on a new born is. Don't get me wrong - never would I trade it for the world, but it just takes time (and patience) and that is coupled with a 2 year old toddler who wants my attention. Anyway... I know this is a normal feeling, but it is still a worry.

On top of that - tomorrow is the first day back for teachers at school and obviously I'm not going back to school yet. Feels wierd. Actually feels really wierd. This is the time of year where I am anxious to meet my new students, dive into history, shake off my summer routine and "get down to business." Don't get me wrong, I wouldn't be looking forward to getting up at 4:45 to start the day and working my tail off all day just to collapse after I put my kids to bed. OH WAIT... I already do this at home. Huh? My new routine HAS already begun - it just involves me being a stay-at-home mom (SAHM) with 2 young children. I really have to give a HUGE shout out to all of the SAHMs out there who do it, love it and wouldn't trade it for the world. It is tough work. Personally, I think it is harder than teaching teenagers. Yes, I'm serious. Harder than that. What I do love about being able to stay home with them is watching them grow & learn. That sounds cheesy but it really is true. In addition to that, I really do feel very close to my son (and hopefully my daughter). I feel like I know him/her very well and that is something you just can't trade.

Brian is starting to pack up his deployment bags and that, of course, has a whole other set of worries & wonders to go with it. His safety, missing him, him missing us, how often will we communicate, loneliness, Thomas asking "where is Daddy?", being a single mom again, handling the household "everythings" and much, much more. I guess there is no sense in worring yet... that will all begin in the oh-so-near-future and last the entire time he is gone.

No comments: