Monday, August 24, 2009

Auntie Jen & week recap

This past weekend Auntie Jen (and Uncle Ash) came into town to visit. Of course they wanted to meet Abby and give her lots of love; we celebrated both Jen & Ash's birthdays and even had a cake for Mommy's upcoming birthday (because most everyone will not be here for hers) and finally to say goodbye to Daddy. We had a great BBQ with yummy food and enjoyed just sitting around and catching up.

Here is Auntie Jen & Thomas at the "kids" table - poor Jen, she has always had to sit at the kids table and NOW as an adult she volunteered to sit with her nephew... what a trooper she is!
Auntie Jen & Abbigail meet for the first time!

Thomas decided he wanted to put the candles on the cake - here he is concentrating very hard on putting them "just so." But, look closely...
... you will see the ones he put on the cake are turned upside down (wax down) and shoved almost all the way into the cake. He was very proud of himself though. Gotta love my helper!!!
Auntie Jen & me
So my first week home alone with the kids didn't go too bad. I guess I don't give myself enough credit. It really was OK and on top of that, I don't feel like I'm doing too bad on sleep either. Up until last night, Abby has been sleeping in the pack-n-play in our room and just taking her naps in her crib which is in her room. I finally got a 2nd baby monitor and it is now operational - so, Abby slept in her bedroom last night which went pretty well. I know that Brian got more sleep which is good because he has to go to work. In terms of sleep for me, we have been trying to get to bed by 10pm (right after Abby's feeding) and then she usually is good until about 2am for a feeding. I get back to sleep and then she is up again around 5 or 6am. Good thing again is she heads back to sleep and Thomas will sleep until 6:30 or 7am. So, all in all I'm getting around 7 hours of sleep. Not too bad for having a newborn.
During the day, a routine is starting to establish itself. We play in the morning; we all take Ziggy on a walk (Thomas rides his bike) which has been long ones and down to the water to see the boats; lunch & then naps. Get this... I don't know how this is working out, but I'm not complaining... Abby & Thomas have been taking their "after lunch" naps at the same time. Yes folks - that means that is my time. I usually blog, check emails, clean up and yes, sometimes take a nap/rest.
Afternoons are proving to be a bit trickier - many times I need to go to the store for bread, milk, etc but haven't worked out the timing quite yet with Abby's feedings to venture out. Poor Brian has been the one to stop at the store on way home. I guess I only have a few more days to figure that one out for myself - I'll get it though. If I look at the big picture, things really are starting to smooth out. Much advice has come from my girlfriends who are juggling 2+ kids and I have to admit that some of their advice has been invaluable. Thanks you guys!!!!
On a different note, I'm hoping that Brian has some 1/2 days (or at least shorter days) this week as finally preparations are made both at work and at home. It sure would be nice to just have him around (for all of us) just as much as we possibly can before he leaves. It is starting to hit me that some of the things that Brian & Thomas do together will be no more for awhile. The sad thing is that Thomas LOVES to do them with Daddy & doing them with Mommy (or Mommy's way) just won't be the same. For example, going fishing on the dock, riding the lawn mower (aka: tractor) with Daddy, riding with Daddy in his truck, etc. I just hope that he continues to love doing those things & when Brian returns they find even more fun things to do together! OK, enough of the sad thoughts. I can only let myself dwell for a short time and then I have to press on. Have a great week everyone...


No comments: