Wednesday, April 16, 2014

The secret truth about the end of a school year

I'm gonna speak honestly here.  Please don't judge me. Actually, you can judge me... it won't bother me because I don't care.  It's just too damn late in the school year to care.
  • As an educator, my instincts & gut tell me to continue to motivate, encourage & push forward all the students & teachers who are stuck somewhere between the Spring Fever Rut and Summer-can't-get-here-soon-enough Syndrome.
  • As an Assistant Principal, I send out dozens & dozens of inspirational quotes and quips and stories to keep my staff looking forward and to continue the focus on challenging our students until the end.
  • As an administrator, I refuse to give up on kids, despite their reckless decisions regarding their attendance, their grades, or their extra curricular activities in this final stretch of the school year.
  • On the other hand though as Mom, I haven't checked Thomas' fluency folder or listen to Abby's speech homework in weeks.  Not days. Weeks, people.  I'm most certainly not winning any Mom of the Year Awards here.
  • As Mom, I love to read with my kids, but there have been more than a hand full of nights when I just tell the kids they can either pick an extra episode of *their* TV show or a book that night.  Guess which one they most often pick?  And you know what, at that moment I don't feel guilty at all.
  • As Mom, I want to tell teachers that we need to make a deal that after April testing, we shouldn't have to do anything else. You don’t. I don’t. I don’t care if you watch movies in class five days a week and take four recesses a day.  I realize that by admitting this, I have sinned and broken the Educator Oath we took in our hearts when we first became teachers.
  • As Mom, there are so many mornings where I just want to send Thomas with a Lunchable and call it all good.  I've been so consistent & committed  all year long with making his lunch & mine each and every morning.  I'm so over it at this point.
  • There are only 36 (calendar) days left.  I feel like I'm limping, limping across the finish line.  For the love of God, can we just be done with this school year?

No comments: