Thursday, September 5, 2013

Secretly an Introvert

Here are the top 8 reasons that prove I'm *secretly an introvert* despite me not wanting to admit it:
  1. I find small talk incredibly cumbersome -  idle chatter is a source of annoyance.  I hate small talk because of the barrier it creates between people
  2. I go to parties -– but not to meet people. - I'd rather spend time with people I already know and feel comfortable around.
  3. Giving a talk in front of 500 people is less stressful than having to mingle with those people afterwards. - I consider myself an excellent leader and public speaker, but I struggle more with meeting and greeting large groups of people on an individual basis.
  4. I start to shut down after I've been active for too long - The daily grind causes me to expend & lose energy, after which I need to go back and replenish in a quiet environment.  Simply put... at the end of the day or a crazy time, I just need some quiet, "ME" time.
  5. I'm married to an extrovert - It's true that opposites attract, and experts say that introverts frequently gravitate towards outgoing extroverts who encourage them to have fun and not take themselves too seriously.  I'm pretty sure that Brian does that for me.
  6. I screen all my calls -- even from friends. - I might not pick up my phone even from people I like, but I'll call them back as soon as I'm mentally prepared and have gathered the energy for the conversation.
  7. I'm a writer - Experts say that introverts are often better at communicating in writing than in person.  Admittedly, I feel most creatively charged when I have time to be alone with my thoughts.
  8. I alternate between phases of work and solitude, and periods of social activity - it's how I stay balanced.  Socializing and busyness & periods of inwardness and solitude!
*Gregoire, Carolyn. "23 Signs You're an Introvert". Huffington Post. Aug 13, 2013.




No comments: