Wednesday, April 25, 2012

What would students think?

In yesterday's mail, I received a manila envelope from my mom.
Inside was a smattering of childhood items that my mom had stumbled across as she was cleaning out.  As I unfolded each item, one by one, I was taken back to my early years.  Aside from my German birth certificate (because I obviously don't recall things that early in life), all of the other papers brought back some kind of memories of where we lived, teachers I had, homework I dreaded, and my high school graduation. 
Interestingly enough though, most of the items in the envelope were high school report cards, a 3rd grade report card, some middle school standardized test scores and my high school graduation (1992) ceremony pamphlet.
It is no secret that I have been a teacher for the last 14 years.
I've taught high school history classes of all levels - college level courses down to remedial levels. 
I have had students who were National Merit Finalists and went on to college chasing their dreams;
I have also had a few students who put their dreams on hold because of an unplanned pregnancy or deciding it was best to stay home to care for a terminally ill parent.
I have shared in the excitement of students who have enlisted in the military and I have cried with a dear student whose father was killed in the line of duty while serving.
Over the years, it has not just been the students who have been learning - I, too, have learned many a lessons from the students who have walked into my life. 
And to all of them... thank you.
I am a better person now.  I am a better teacher because of you.
I'm even a better mother, wife, daughter and friend.
Thank you.

With all of that said, as I looked at my report cards - and NOT from a Teacher's perspective - but rather just from Michelle's vantage point. I was reminded of several things when I was a student:

  • High school wasn't hard for me.  I didn't really study much.  Of course, I don't think I really knew how.
  • I never really felt challenged.  Looking back, I took a few honors/advanced/AP classes... but nothing to the extent that many of my former students do.
  • Of course, I don't really remember stressing out too much about academics.  A weighted 3.5 GPA was pretty fine for me.
  • High school was important for social reasons to me.  Soccer, my friends, and where everyone was meeting up at the football game were priorities.
  • I was better than an average student... but not by much.
  • I did great in French (5 years worth) and not so great in my history classes (isn't that ironic?)
  • I liked math and did well at it.  That too is ironic because I wanted nothing to do with it after high school.
I will leave you with this final comment made on my 3rd grade report card from Mrs. Mullins in 1983 - "Michelle has excellent organization and study skills.  She is unfailingly conscientious, helpful and thoughtful.  She is also a very dependable person."  Wow... thank you Mrs. Mullins for recognizing my Type A personality traits so early on!  At least maybe those strengths made up for my not-so-stellar grade of "C" in several of my high school history classes. :(

I wonder what my students would think if they knew?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Michelle- Thank you for sharing this post! I think your students will like to see that their FABULOUS teacher was, indeed, HUMAN! :) I love the irony with math and history...... Even though I had honors classes and excellent grades, math was my nemesis!!!! (P.S- The comments from the 3rd grade report card are too cute-- and very true about the Type A personality!)

Hugs to you in Alaska!

David Leventhal said...

No doubt there are hundreds of students whose lives are better having had you as their teacher/mentor. And I think Mrs. Mullins was right when she said that you are "unfailingly conscientious, helpful and thoughtful."