Sunday, April 22, 2012

The Parents Pledge

I'm really no different than all the other parents I know out there.
We want to raise healthy kids.  We want happy families.  Simple.
However, there is one more thing.  One very important thing - Instilling a passion for learning is one of the greatest things you can do for your child, because kids who develop a thirst for knowledge tend to explore things in greater depth and become better students -- and more successful throughout life.

As I was reading the other day, I came across something that put into words (finally) what I have always known in my heart as a parent that I wanted to make sure I always do for my kids.  I can't take credit for this, but I will tell you that millions of parents just like Brian and I believe that "to help our kids develop a love of learning that will last a lifetime," we need to make sure we:
  • Encourage independent play - We will give them the time and space to experiment and learn things on their own.  And if they get frustrated, we'll greet them with guidance, not answers.
  • Hit the books - We will read to our kids every day - even once they're old enough to do it by themselves.
  • Nurture their natural curiosity - While a preshcooler's nonstop questions can be wearying, we will always try to respond with enthusiasm.
  • Give them a game plan - If they're struggling with a task, we will break it down into simple steps.
  • Embrace setbacks - It is our job to recast disappointment as a chance to improve, and we'll inspire our kids to keep trying.
  • Compliment them the right way - We will be specific when doling out praise and focus on their effort rather than the results.  Excessive ooh-ing and aah-ing can dampen their motivation.
  • Support special interests - We will help our kids find a passion or a hobby by exposing them to lots of things and by visiting museums, libraries, and historic places.
  • Create little challenges - Asking how man red cars they can spot or how to spell a simple word will boost their sense of competence.  Plus its fun.
  • Practice the things I preach - They'll care more about academics if they see each of us reading for pleasure, calculating our budget, and researching a new subject on our own time.
  • Tolerate messes - Learning isn't always neat and orderly.  A little chaos is a vital part of the process.
  • Be my kids' top learning advocate - Whether they have problems with a homework project or simply need a pep talk, we will strive to be a as supportive as we can be.

No comments: