Sunday, April 29, 2012

The color of eyes

When I was tucking Thomas in to bed tonight and kissing him goodnight, he asked me why he had brown eyes but Abbigail and Marilyn each had blue eyes.  Realizing that I only had a split second to decide how I was going to answer this question, I decided to have some fun with the answer. 

I laid down next to Thomas, got real cozy with him and said, "You really want to know why your eyes are brown?" Of course he got the biggest grin on his face when he realized I was about to reveal THE secret.

I proceeded to tell him, "the reason your eyes are brown is because when I was pregnant with you, and you were cozy inside my belly, I had the biggest urge to eat little, brown, creamy, chocolate kisses by the handful."  Thomas looked stunned at me.  And then just like that, I saw the wheels turning in his head contemplating the result of my sweet tooth... and he busted out laughing.

After giggling together for a minute, he got serious again and said, "well then what did you eat so much of when you were pregnant with Abby and Marilyn that gave them blue eyes?"  In that second, I could only think of one thing that sounded logical - I replied with a sheepish grin...

"... blue jelly beans of course."