Saturday, February 11, 2012

Do'in the Potty thing

As I mentioned about 2 weeks ago, I got serious about potty training Abby.  We made sure we had the little potties (one for upstairs and one for downstairs), we had a gazillion pairs of cute little undies, we had Pull-Ups, we had potty training little stories, and we had cupfuls of lollipops as prizes in each bathroom.  To start, we used a timer set for every hour and either Mommy or Daddy would sit with her (for what seemed like an eternity) and read books while she contemplated going potty.  It was painstakingly long, boring, frustrating all part of the process, right?  After a lot of tears, accidents (of course) and unwillingness on Abby's part - I decided that I would ease up on the rigidness of the potty schedule. 

When we got dressed in the mornings (the days we didn't have to rush out the door), we put big girl undies on.  Sometimes she would sit on the potty, other times she adamantly said no.  Either way, we got dressed and went about playing.  To my surprise, after just a handful of accidents, Abby started rushing over to me saying, "Pee-Pees" or "Poo-Poo."  I quickly caught on that she didn't mean she had an accident, she meant she had to GO!  We rushed to the potty, where she insisted on sitting on the big potty (and using the small one to step up/down).  Within seconds, or a few short moments, Abby was using the potty.  On many occasions too, I'm super happy to report that she has gone Poo-Poo.  Even M-W-F when we have to rush out the door to bring Thomas to school and then head to speech therapy, Abby will tell me when we get to speech that she has to go potty.  She has just amazed me.  Seriously. 

I'm wondering if she just didn't want to go potty on my watch but rather when she was ready?  It has to be because I've backed off and she has taken off with staying dry, going potty and being quite the big girl! 

No comments: