Monday, October 17, 2011

I am becoming my mother

It's official.
I am becoming my mother.
That is not a bad thing at all, except I'm doing things I swore when I was a teenager I would never do to my own children.
Mom... I love you for helping me become who I am today, especially the mother I am.  However, I am now doing the following:
  • calling out every wrong name in the house for the person's attention I'm trying to get.  I sound a lot like an insane person.  "Thomas, uh, Marilyn, uh, Brian, UH... Abbigail come upstairs now please!" and it is usually followed by, "Whatever your name is please come upstairs I said!"
  • Many times over I have caught myself doing the-lick-the-thumb-and-rub technique to get whatever is stuck on the side of the kids' face off.  I used to hate that as a kid, but now I realized it is far too convenient to pass up sometimes.
  • I'm quite guilty of using the famous one-liner, "Don't make me stop this car!"  Yep... guilty.
  • Trying to make the weekly grocery shopping trip as painless as possible for me + 3 kids often times results in me rushing through the store and not always paying close attention to the labels on the item I hastily grab.  I have come home and discovered on several occasions that I have bought the wrong item.  Worse yet, it ends up being something that I hate to eat, not just Brian and the kids.  See... "haste does make waste."
  • Finally, I have caught myself a few times (more than I'm proud of) answering the question "why can't we go/do/eat/have somewhere/thing with the response, "Because I said so that's why!"  Auuughhh. 
And there you have it.  Michelle is becoming her mother.  I couldn't be happier.  I only hope I can do half the job she did with my sister & me.  Love you mom.

No comments: