Thursday, June 2, 2011

Margin for error

I was a little nervous when we were pregnant with Thomas - would I show him enough love?  Would I be a good mother?  Would I know what to do?  I quickly found out that every parent just learns along the way.

Two years later, we were expecting Abbigail.  There was a different set of nerves and feelings this time around - would I be able to love two children equally and enough?  How would Thomas handle sharing my love?  How much more work would two children be compared to just one?  I quickly found that we just needed to learn how to juggle things and it would all work out.  Of course, this time around it would just be me juggling things for several months... Brian deployed out just 3 weeks after Abbigail was born and was gone for 8 months.  Needless to say, adjusting, juggling and finally thriving became a daily goal that got easier over time.

And just last week, almost two years later, we welcomed Marilyn into this world.  A new set of concerns was how will we handle being outnumbered?  How will our baby girl adjust to not being the "baby" any more?  Will Thomas embrace the additional "duty" of being a big brother for a second time around?  How the heck will I get three kids ready and out the door + myself when it already is challenging on some given days?
Some recent great advice given to me from a friend about parenthood & raising multiple kids or even just one child is to have margin for error in your schedule. Some days you won't have to use so much of your margin, but there will be days when you use up the whole thing plus some.  Amen to that. 

OK.  Enough about my crazy thoughts in my head... let me get this blog posted before my "chaos" wakes up this morning.  Here are some pictures from this week of my clan:







 

No comments: