Tuesday, June 28, 2011

Truthful Tuesday - Teeth Doctor edition

We are in the midst of day #2 pack out.  So far so good.  The moving guys are aiming to have our house empty by the close of business today.  Time will tell.  Empty house updates will follow tomorrow.

Meanwhile, I thought I would make today's blog entry a Truthful Tuesday edition... about the teeth doctor that I had to visit this morning.  Teeth doctor is what Thomas calls the dentist.  My appointment was a routine cleaning appointment.  Truthfully (hence the blog entry), I wasn't worried about cavities at all.  Instead, it was a different kind of dread.
Just as I have admitted to HATING going to the doctor when I'm ill, I too HATE to go to the dentist even for routine cleanings.  Not sure if it is because it seems inconvenient or more so because I know I'm going to get some kind of lecture from the dentist about my brushing habits.  I admit, I have bad habits.  Wait... that didn't sound the way I wanted it to.  I have poor brushing habits in the way of I brush my teeth way too hard.  My dental hygienist jokes with me and says that I seem to be trying to scrub the white enamel right off my teeth.  I admit, I grab the tooth brush with all my might and I scrub.  Furthermore, I scrub back and forth (like I was taught as a kid), when in fact I guess I'm supposed to be "gently" brushing in circles.  So for the record... I've been brushing wrong for about 35+ years.

All of my forceful cleaning has resulted in very inflamed gums that have started to deteriorate.  Additionally, I've never been a fan of flossing.  I guess mainly because it too seems so inconvenient and I hate holding a mile long string in my hands and trying to maneuver in my mouth.  So.... in the past, I have rarely flossed.  However, recently I have been flossing more often because of a new little invention (or maybe it has been around for a while but I've just started using them) - the little teeth pick with floss on one end.  They are quite convenient and apparently doing my teeth some good because there is less redness & bleeding when the visit is all said and done with.
Long story short... I always get some kind of lecture at the end of my dentist visit.  Don't get me wrong, I welcome the advise and the proper instructions that I should be following for the sake of my mouth's health... however, if possible, I would probably avoid this doctor too if I could just as I do any physician.  But I do remind myself that I need to set a good (and probably better example) for my three little ones at home and how they should take good care of their teeth.  OK... I guess I will take one for the team and keep trying to be a better brusher and flosser.

No comments: