Thursday, June 23, 2011

Packing challenge

Not sure if you are aware of my packing challenge we are faced with?  Let me give you a brief explanation:
Florida July/August average temperatures:
Lows - 74
Highs - 91

Now look at what I need to consider as I am packing our suitcases for our move to Alaska in the same month:
 Yes... you read that correctly.
Alaska July/August average temperatures:
Lows - 50
Highs - 65
That is indeed an enormous temperature gap.  Quite the packing challenge if I do say so myself.  It quickly occured to me that I need to pack clothes that we may need even through September... just in case we are not moved out of temperary housing and have yet to get our household goods.  Heck, September gets down to a chilly 40 degrees which means LOTS of warm clothes are necessary.  Again - quite the packing challenge indeed.
However, I'm happy to report that I have gone through both Thomas and Abby's things and washed and packed their "cold" weather clothes ready to be used as we get into those much chillier areas up north along the way and once we are settled in Alaska.  Marilyn shouldn't be too much of a problem... we dress her in layers anyways.
 
Another reminder for me is to keep in mind how much sunlight we will be getting in the first few months we are settling in.  To my amazement, August and September still have quite a bit of daylight hours however, that quickly drops off as we move through the autumn months and into the winter ones.  Obviously, black out curtains and shades are a must (for the abundance of sunlight in summer) and light & cool colored items around the house (to offset the lack of sunlight in winter).

No comments: