Friday, December 7, 2012

Friday Night Leftovers (counting the days edition)

 

I'm not sure why I skipped last week, but it happened.  Oh well, I'm sure no one in this world missed my random thoughts.  Moving along...
  • We are creeping closer and closer to the darkest day of the year.  As of today, 5 hours 45 min is how much daylight we actually get.  Yep.  Most of the waking day is spent in the dark.   Well, not entirely... we have lots of lights in the house, schools, stores, etc.  You get the idea.
  • I'm a little excited about the potential of snow this weekend.  It has been about a month since our last snow fall.
  • I want to know why my children think that the kitchen is open 24/7 for snacks?  I need a sign that I can hang up that boldly and clearly states, "Kitchen is now CLOSED!"
  • For most people, this probably sounds crazy... but not when you live in Alaska.  Elementary schools have recess as long as temperatures don't dip below -10 degrees.  Yep... negative 10.
  • Thomas was sick this week.  And it just so happened that on the two days he stayed home from school there was virtually NO arguing, fighting, bickering, teasing or even whining - and I mean from anybody in the house.  How was this possible?  Dare I wish someone be sick everyday in my house if it would keep the peace.
  • 3 more internship days... but whose counting, right?
  • 7 more days until Brian returns.  I'm sure my loved ones all the way in Florida will hear the loud exhale that happens when we go pick him up from the airport that night.
  • There are 8 days left until I join my group of crazy military wives (Diving Divas) at the Annual Anchorage Polar Plunge and jump into the freezing cold water of Goose Lake.  A huge shout out to all my family & friends who donated money to the Special Olympics on my behalf (its not too late... click here) and wait in anticipation of the pictures/video that shows how insane I really am. 
  • I was reminded this week by a dear friend that, although the kids argue & whine, the winter days are cold & dark, my husband has to be away, and that everyday stresses sometimes win over me... the days are long but the years are short.  I want to always remember that my children will only be young once.  I want to make every day of their childhood count with me.

 
 

No comments: